Anomalies... Anomalies, Everywhere!


The following is an excepert from a journal entitled, "Nyssa's Findings of Anomalous Events"

First, a brief summary of the events that have, thus, been observed and not yet reported.  I confess, I must quickly enter these findings for fear that I am not in my right mind to do so in the very near future...

While a recent endeavor took my krewe forth on a few perilous Fractals experiences, I began seeing - on multiple occasions - a disturbance which could only be described as an Anomaly.  These beings have plagued recent adventures, but usually as enemies which are dispatched.  This became apparent during our last romp through the Chaos Fractal, where a rather nasty champion creature attempted to send us to the mists.


This, got my curiosity juices flowing, compounded by the fact the Anomaly appeared again while alone in our Guild Hall.  Fascinated (not startled, at all!) I watched the creature appear to hunch over, as if saddened, then dissipate!  I, being of scientific sound mind, approached the site rather cautiously and scanned the area to determine if residue or plasma could be obtained for further study.  None, however, was found.



Gathering of more information was required, and what better place to gather unfiltered (albeit uneducated) accounts, than to speak with residents and Lion Guard in Lion's Arch.


As expected, this yielded no promising results from booka, however, I did run into a fellow Asura named Maezz, who indeed, did have quite a wealth of knowledge on the phenomenon that plagued me.  It truly prompts me to wonder just how much knowledge the consortium has on such event, and this particular tradesman seemed a bit... unscrupulous.  If memory serves, I once purchased a bottle of krait oil from this vendor, and was nauseated instantly after consumption.  After thanking him for his time, I walked away wondering just how trustworthy a consortium member's information could be.


An epiphany occurred when I realized what I should have done from the beginning: I should go to a legitimate source of information, the Durmand Priory archives.


I must admit, rather than filled with excitement, I found myself wading the the pools of despair - such unsubstantiated diagnosis that I am, indeed, loosing my mind.  And such a thing is probably my most cherished possession, other than my brilliant menagerie of animal friends, mind you!



After much exhaustive research on the subject, I was about to retire, when I came across something interesting!  Only recently has there been documented reports of other Tyrians experiencing the same phenomena, and it seems the commonality in all these cases is contact with high concentrations and overflow of magic!  My mind was reeling!  I've been having these visions since my time at Bloodstone Fen... The explosion must have done something to me; exposed me to an extreme amount of magical energy!


I needed more information!  Exiting the library, I ran into Historian Tranton who has seemingly been working with others to cleanse this "magic overflow sickness."  He explained to me that using a device called a "Shadowstone" would cleanse me of such.  It is believed to have that Shadowstones amplified Seer's magical abilities during during the creation of the Bloodstones, and that it can be used to cleanse me of the affliction!  While I could have continued onward with Tradesman Maezz, the Asura who has already made empty-promise-potions, I chose to allow Tranton to perform the cleansing ritual and use the Shadowstone on me.  I have always allied myself with the Priory, and I hope to one day add my bestiary tomes to their library.

What happened next is something I can't quite describe...  For only a fraction of a moment... I could see.  I mean REALLY see.  I saw... Well, I am not exactly certain what I saw.  Everything and nothing?  The Eternal Alchemy?  Beyond the mists?  I am... I am completely at a loss for describing those brief moments.  But what I can say is that in that moment, I was what I had been seeing: I was an Anomaly!


And then it was gone.


Even now I struggle with understanding the exact accounting of what transpired.  I hope these events will, indeed, correct my affliction as advertised.  However, I do find myself thinking of the experience in terms of... not an affliction, but rather, somehow... A gift.

I suppose only time will tell.



-----------Out of Character-----------
So, this was a really interesting discovery I made in-game and followed through almost completely in-game. What's really fun is that I had the same head-scratching mystery my character had. It's been a while since I've felt as connected to what was going on with my character as this event provided. Maybe other's experiences with this won't be quite as fun, but I had a blast!

There were a few steps I glossed over, cause I really didn't want to get too deep into describing game mechanics that didn't flow well with the story, but all-in-all, Nyssa's assumptions and recollection of the events were as I experienced them!

If anyone's interested in doing this themselves, I'm still not exactly sure what started the weeping anomalies popping up; I did see something that it may be if you did the "chase the anomaly" events, but I know specifically, the achievement entries didn't show up until I actually ran through one of the anomalies that appeared when I was running around Bloodtide Coast. A guildmate saw it during a fractal run a few days after I went through this & I told him to run through it. He said it came up with an achievement thingy, so that very well might be what starts it. Once it's there, it's called "The Burden of Choice."