The Search for Lexxie: Part 6

The Search for Lexxie: Part 6
----- Departure -----


Nalla approached the Dejarin Estate with trepidation.  While it was not entirely out of the realm of possibilities, Nalla knew of only a small amount of asura which actually had romantic relationships with humans.  The previous night's interactions with Paige were unexpected, and Nalla wasn't used to not having a plan.  Various situations during her time with the Pact had taught her to plan ahead; yet, for reasons she didn't fully understand, the asura couldn't stop thinking about the kiss.  This was, in of itself, unexpected.  Her goal was, and should have remained to find her sister.  At least, that's what her asuran intellect postulated.  But, the lump in her throat came from another place.  Taking in a deep breath, she continued forward.

Lady Dejarin was already busy with preparations, instructing her staff what to do and where to go.  Nalla felt a bit intimidated by the woman's command presence, but with one look from Paige, the asura's hesitation vanished.  A large reassuring smile came from the dark-skinned woman.  "Hello there, my protector; my knight!"

Nalla blushed at the honorary title, wrung her hands, and adjusted her armor.  "H-Hello Lady Paige."

"Are you ready?"  The woman motioned a few more commands to her support staff, but kept her attention on the asura.

"To be honest, not really.  I haven't had very good luck in the desert, I'm afraid.  But, perhaps with you there, we can…"  Nalla offered a warm smile.

Paige giggled slightly.  "You know, I was just about to say the same.  I made you a promise and I'll make sure we see it through.  I know we will… together!"

Nalla nodded as she adorned a backpack of supplies, weaving the straps over her armor.



"We won't miss a thing this time, Nalla," Paige said, offering her palm to the asura.

Accepting the offer, Nalla squeezed Paige's hand lightly.  "I can't thank you enough, Poobah.  But… I will try!"

"You mean 'we'll try'… together!"  She said reassuringly.  A glance to her servant, Sebastian ensured the tuning of the teleportation crystal was almost complete.  The crystal glowed with sparkling leyline magic, humming as it powered up.

"I do hope it holds.  Lexxie is so much better at magitech than I ever  have been.  She's… well, she's just brilliant, Lady Paige.  I can't wait for you to meet her."

Paige blushed as she confessed, "I believe it will; I tested it a few times over the last few days.  It just takes too long to power up."

"Milady, you should be careful venturing to Elona on your own like that.  The place is most inhospitable.  At least bring your protector along?"

"Oh, I was fine," she said, then Paige giggled.  "You sound like Sebastian over there."  The servant appeared to have ignored the comment, but Nalla picked up the slightest exhale from him.

The asura again adjusted her gear, obviously nervous.  She looked up, saw Paige's concerned eyes.   "Oh, you know, I still do get nervous.  You'd think I would be used to this though: The Pact sent me to quite a few dangerous places."

"Father used to tell me that the sane or good never get used to it… But, they rise up and do it anyway.  Of course, I never thought I'd be the one being referred to.  Seven year-old would be so upset.  I was always angry with father for leaving on dangerous missions.  With no mother around, I never knew if…"  the woman choked up a bit.  A slight caress on her hand from Nalla urged her on.  "Well, anyway, I spent a lot of time reading or with nannies, I'll say!"

Nalla stared at the brilliant display of azure electricity the crystal now began to emanate.  "It sounds… (If I do say so without offense?) quite lonely, Lady Paige."

Paige sighed.  "Oh it was.  Father tried though.  He tried so hard, but, we didn't know I was a noble then, and he had to work.  Can you imagine?  I spent years with the only nearby person being nannies or whomever father was dating at the time.  Well, them or Snapper."

Nalla's ears perked up, fell out of the cap.  "Snapper?" she asked as she stuffed the long ears back into the cap.  "Odd name for an asura.  This was your Poobah?"

"Oh, no," Paige laughed. "Snapper was my drake.  Ember gifted his egg to me when I was young.  I raised him and he has been… was, my companion for years.  He was a loyal friend to the end, and I swore… I swore I'd never freeze up and let someone down again.  He died when the estate was attacked.  I got scared and froze up.  Snapper took the hit."

"I'm sorry to hear that, milady."

Paige nodded.  "Well, anyway, that's when I started training in my mother's art: necromancy.  But, that's all ancient history.  It can't be all that interesting."

Nalla blushed.  "It is to me, Lady Paige."

Paige laughed softly.  "Well, if you'd like to hear more, we can always share stories when we get back; if, that is, you plan to stick around."

Nalla wrung her hands.  "It does take a considerable amount of my time, taking care of Lexx, but… Yes, milady.  I would very much like to stay.  You are, after all, my Poobah!"

Paige pressed her palm to her heart, a quaint, meaningful gesture.  "I swear to you, I will do all in my power to protect my protector!  And, I will do all I can to help you find her, Nalla.  I promise."

Both women made their way to the crystal in the adjacent room; Sebastian ready to receive the last of his orders.

"Alright, Sebastian, while I'm gone, please take care of the house.  Ember will keep the lands safe and father will be able to help.  We will be back, so keep the crystal powered up and activated every tenth hour.  I have no desire to charter a flight back from Elona."

Sebastian nodded, bowed his head.  "Of course; I have taken the liberty of postponing your duties and meetings as requested.  Safe travels, Lady Paige."



Nalla nodded to Paige, stepped into the crystal.  Energies engulfed the asura like electrical hands, their talons pulling her into it.  Her body felt as though it were flying apart, traveling over ancient electrical currents, passing through the etheric miasma.  The sensation was a bit like using asura waypoints, but in a jarring, unfiltered state.  It was a feeling that didn't agree with Nalla; being split apart and rematerialized wasn't her idea of a great time, but the teleportation had succeeded.  She stepped onto the foreign mesa, feeling as nauseated as a flying dolyak.

A footstep behind ensured Paige had also made it.  Nalla meekly smiled at her mentor.

Paige understandingly smiled.  "I got sick the first few times I tested it too."

"You don't say?"  Nalla chuckled slightly, in spite of herself.

"I did, indeed.  But, let's not tell father, mkay?"  Paige laughed, dusted herself off.




"Lexx can help stabilize it.  She's really amazingly brilliant (in her own way) - just don't tell her I said so."  Nalla said attempting to stand upright as the nausea began to fade.

"You know, I've been thinking of how we can get this done," Paige offered.  "I believe we just need to get to where you found the hat.  I researched a new spell that should be able to assist.  But before we go, I need to know if you trust me.  You're my protector and whatever happens, just this once, I'm yours."  She knelt down to the asura, arms spread.

Nalla came to the woman's embrace, her soft cheek rubbing against Paige's.  "Just this once?" Nalla whispered.

Paige smiled.  "Oh, alright.  Just this once… today," she giggled as Nalla nuzzled her cheek to the woman's.  "I do want to help you as you've helped me."

Nalla turned her head and kissed Paige on the cheek with a softness that made the human shutter.  "Or, maybe twice?  Or thrice?"  The asura giggled.

"Or maybe we just lose count?" Paige said, losing herself to the moment.

Not it was Nalla that shuttered and suddenly inhaled.  She caught her own reaction and blushed.



Paige smiled as she stood, drawing a pair of fingertips along the asura's cheek and ear in one smooth motion.  She cleared her throat, looked further down the mesa, toward the vast stretch of land within the domain of Vabbi.  "This spell…"

Nalla tucked her ears back into the cap.  "This is a locator spell, I take it?"

"Something like that.  From what I've learned, the sands have power, if you know how to contact it.  The idea is that I can awaken the sands and the spirts imbued within; kinda like calling forth ghosts.  Once this has been done, you can ask about Lexxie's location.  If she's anywhere the sands touch, we should get at least an approximate timeline or location.  (At least that's the theory, anyway.)"

"Have you done this before?"  Nalla's asura brain took her words.

Paige considered.  "Not on a grand scale.  I was able to find my father's lost keys, so…"  a nervous laugh came from the woman.

Nalla nodded.  "You are full of surprises, Poobah!"

"Well, like I said, I do study a lot.  I made good use of our time back in Tyria, and hopefully I can put it to good use and help us find her easier.  We need but to find where you discovered her cap."

Nalla nodded.  "Understood; but be warned: it was overrun by enemies.  It's why I fear for my sister so.  I was barely able to retrieve it and return to you."

Paige took Nalla's hand.  "You're very brave, my protector.  When we get there, you just protect me and I'll handle the rest."

A smile came to the asura's face, as the two ventured forth full of hope, not knowing the tragedy that awaited.


[To be Continued...]