The Search for Lexxie: Part 5

The Search for Lexxie: Part 5
----- First Time for Everything -----



The soft breeze ran its hand through the woman's curly hair.  While some members of noble houses would immediately attempt to keep order to misbegotten strands, Paige simply closed her eyes for a moment and enjoyed the wind's soft tickle.  After a long day of business, she found the hilltop near her estate especially relaxing.  She reached down, picked up her lute and began to absently strum a melody.

It is often said sailors are drawn to the depths due to mermaid songs; Nalla mused at the thought, just as she was being drawn to Paige.  The Asura had returned from Lion's Arch with a small amount of supplies needed for their upcoming journey, and while she was anxious to get underway and find her sister, Nalla couldn't help but be pulled in by Paige's enchantment.

The reflection of moonlight on Paige's light brown skin caught Nalla's eye, and the asura plopped down in the grass, admiringly staring up at her.  Paige was, indeed, stunning.  She had the air about her, with an almost child-like innocent face and an asura-like curiosity that Nalla found irresistible.



When the song had concluded, Nalla cheered, startling the artist.  "Oh, Poobah, I'm so sorry!  I was just enjoying such an amazing arrangement of tonal excellence!"  She paused for a moment, and sighed at her words.  "I mean, I really enjoyed it."

Paige laid the lute in the grass, placed a hand over her heart, accepting the complement with the grace Nalla had come to expect.  "Oh no; I simply strum and play by ear.  In all honesty, I'm really not that good," she admitted.

Nalla shook her head so vigorously, her ears slapped her own face.  "You're… You're miraculously talented; I loved it!" She suddenly attached herself to Paige's leg and squeezed.

The woman tussled Nalla's hair and gave a soft pat on her head, wearing a sweet smile.  Then she glanced around to ensure no servants or onlookers were present, knelt down, and offered Nalla a proper hug, who immediately wrapped her arms around her.  "Well, I was going to say we could continue with the Dejarin Estate tour, but, I suppose we could delay it a bit longer."

Nalla giggled without letting go.  She felt comforted by Paige and had come to rely on her - not just for the woman's resources - but for her strength and conviction.  Lady Paige engendered such trust, Nalla could easily understand why those that followed her, did.

Paige settled into the squat, already having committed to the long embrace, and she didn't mind in the slightest.  "You know… If you ever do need hugs, I'm more than happy to provide.  After all, it's what a Poobah should do!  But besides that, it's what I want to do."  Her cheeks flushed at her own words.

"Thank you, milady.  You've done so much, and I… I just can't thank you enough!"  Nalla said meekly.

Paige squeezed the asura tightly.  "Oh, you honor me already… with both your protection, and your friendship!"

"As do you," Nalla said, then thought about it for a minute and giggled in spite of herself.  "Well, you know what I mean."

"I do.  Perfectly well."


A breeze caught Nalla's ear which injected itself into Paige's afro.  The two pulled away, both looking up at the entanglement and laughed.  Paige carefully withdrew Nalla's long, floppy ear from her curls and returned it to its proper place.  Her hand lingered a moment to brush Nalla's hair behind it, when the asura nuzzled her face into Paige's palm.  For only a split second was Paige surprised by the gesture, but the asura's fuzzy skin pulled her into the moment.  She closed her eyes stroking Nalla's cheek.  "This is so nice," she blissfully sighed.

"It's been a while since I've felt so… trusting.  Especially with that of another race.  Asura sometimes aren't treated that well, and I'm very humbled by your kindness and generosity," Nalla said softly.

"I do try.  But, well, you make it easier, I suppose.  It's been (gods knows how long!) since I've felt so secure with my guardian."

Nalla's eyes sprung open, tinged with a discernable amount of concern.  "Oh, you mean your second in command?  The one with the ashy hair?"

Lady Paige opened her eyes.  "Oh!  That's Ember.  And, yes, while her title will soon become official, she's really only recently stepped up into quite the leader.  She's to form her own cavalry and… Oh, I digress!  I was referring to you, Nalla: my protector."
"I just… I do not wish to overstep my bounds as your knight.  I just really don't want her to be upset with me…"

Paige shrugged, "Well it's not like," she paused, a curious look on her face as the analysis caught up to her.  "Why would she be upset at you?"

"For falling… Following you," Nalla's face flushed and she stammered. "For… um… p-protecting… you."

A minute passed before Paige blinked; when she did, an immediate blush rushed her cheeks.  "Oh… Um… I'm…" she paused, gathered herself regally before continuing.  "May I confess something to you?

"Anytime, milady," came a small expectant voice.

Paige leaned in close to the asura, to ensure her whisper was heard.  This was a gesture not needed, as Nalla's ears could pick up firefly wings flapping in the distance, but the proximity turned her skin pink and froze her in place.

"My first kiss and crush was an asura.  My very first poobah.  And, I confess, I looked at you and wondered if you were like her, but," Paige paused purposefully for effect, "I'd say you're much more what I'd need.  And, you know… I was curious.  I read a lot and I… well, I am."


Nalla turned three shades redder, and after a few solid minutes of both women imitating statues, Paige's cheeks also darkened.  She cleared her throat, drummed her fingers, completely and utterly flummoxed at what next to do.

The asura leaned forward and pressed her lips to Paige's cheek softly, pulling back with a warm smile.

Paige giggled, blushed, placed two fingers on her lips.  "Oh… Um… Then, sh-shall we talk about this more when we get back because…  I mean… Well, thank you."  The woman had completely lost her composure.  "Sorry," she nervously apologized.  "It's just that… I've never been kissed first."

Nalla giggled.  "And I've never kissed first.  I guess it's a first for us both?" she smirked.

"You know, I had hoped.  I mean, I was convinced that… Oh, to the mists with doubt!  I'm happy, and I can be happy, right?"

Nalla took Paige's hand to her lips with a small peck.  "Well, once we get Lexx back… Well, then maybe we can continue?  Satisfy our mutual curiosities?"

Paige stood, a big smile on her face.  "Of course; business first!  No more delays, okay?  I'm all packed up and the servants have already used the teleportation crystal to bring our provisions through.  Let's go find your sister, shall we?"

"Yes, let's!" Nalla said, ears limply flopping as she nodded.

The two walked back to the estate as the night sky began to brighten with the sun's upcoming debut.  They were hand in hand, both with smiles on their faces.



[To be Continued...]