Elona Bound: Part 14


Elona Bound: Part 14
----- The Past, Not Passed -----


Emerald eyes gazed into red eyes as Demitra and Ember strode together slowly toward the tavern.  It had been a harsh trip thus far, their journey to the safe haven.  Some unknown event had happened to Demitra; some unknown power unleashed upon the creatures that almost destroyed her.  She had no memory of the event; of what happened to cause this, but looking into Ember's ruby eyes ensured they would discover the answer to those secrets, together.

Ahead of the couple, a woman clad in brown and black flowing robes exited the tavern.  Her head was hooded, concealing her face.  She carried a walking staff, though it did little to assist the woman's mobility; a limp in her right leg.  Upon passing the women, she abruptly stopped, her mouth agape, completely startled.  "D… Demitra?"

Demitra spun on her heel, hearing her name and turned to the cloaked woman.  The woman's hood dropped to reveal a thin face with light blue eyes, blonde hair cascading over her shoulders.  While she looked different from when last they saw each other, her face was unmistakable.  Demitra blinked in shock.  "S- Sirinous?"



The woman dropped her staff, limped to the Elonian, threw her arms around her.  "Demitra!  I found you!  I've missed you so much!"

Demitra stood as a statue, still in shock with the woman's arms encircling her.

Ember gritted her teeth, raising an eyebrow at the display.  "What… What the hell?"

"Siri… You… You are in Elona?" Demitra muttered the words, the surprise written on her face.

Sirinous reached to cup the Elonian's face, but pulled back.  "Um… Yeah," she said a bit shy from the reaction.  "I came a few weeks ago… I've been searching for you."

"You… Searching for me?  Here?  I… I thought you were determined not to make the journey to Elona!"

Siri sighed.  "I couldn't stand not being with you; I thought about you the entire time.  When I found out you already began your journey home… Well, I soon followed."  She took the Elonian's hand into her own.  "I'm not leaving you again."

Ember fumed, her head billowing smoke.

Demitra glanced at her companion, released Siri's hand.  "You…" she struggled to grasp herself.  "But you did; you decided to stay behind!" she said, her words fused with emotion.

Siri closed her eyes a moment, when she opened them, they were like glass.  "I… I will explain it to you.  May I?" she said apologetically soft.

A few flames manifested atop Ember's head as her red eyes glanced from Demitra to Sirinous.

Demitra turned to the woman, with imploring, empathetic emerald eyes.

Siri glanced for the first time at Ember, then back to Demitra.  "Oh… I see…" mumbled quietly.

Ember stormed off.  "I hear Cinder calling me," she grumbled.

Demitra reached out, but stopped herself.  Ember needed some time to herself, and she genuinely wanted to understand why her ex had initially rejected her offer and what changed.  Her eyes glazed  over as she stared at Siri.  "You… You stayed behind!" she repeated.

"Come this way; let's talk."  she said with a sorrowful expression.  She picked her staff off the ground, began using it for support again, still limping as they made their way into the tavern.  They came to a long table, where Siri promptly leaned against it.



"You… are injured?"  Demitra stated the obvious, an attempt to ease into conversation.

Siri nodded.  "This town… We were attacked a few days ago by some of those Forged things," she kept her voice low.  "I was… I was cut… But that's not important right now."  She cleared her throat.  "Demitra.. I came here the first time because I was on the trail of my birth mother.  When I found her," tears came to her eyes, "she was working for him.  For Balthazar, leading some Forged.  We fought and I injured her badly.  She wasn't aware it was me until after the fighting stopped."  Siri took in a deep breath.  "She asked me to free her from pain… so I did."  Tears ran down her cheeks.

"Siri… I'm so sorry."

After a moment, Siri wiped her eyes.  "I didn't want to come back here after doing that, so I returned to Tyria.  And, then I met you.  And, I fell for you; finally happy again."  She sighed.  "Then I let my fears get the best of me.  I'm not asking to just pick up where we started… I just… I just want a second chance; I don't wanna lose you."

Demitra sighed.  She hadn't expected this; hadn't expected to ever see Siri again.  "Sirinous, when we first met, I was completely alone, displaced from the world I knew…" She shook her head.  "And you were someone with whom I sought companionship.  You helped me when I was in such a vulnerable state, and I cherish that time we spent together.  But, Sirinous… that night in the ball; that night when you said only simply that you wished to remain and no accompany me… That night, my heart was broken."



Siri closed her eyes tightly, futilely fighting back the tears as she listened.

"You did not explain at that time, and while I understand it was difficult to do so, from my perspective, you wished to stay, thus ending whatever developments would become of us."

"But I'm here now," Sirinous reached out.

Demitra took Siri's hand, placing it on the table, with hers covering it.  "Indeed you are: a vision from my past, spawning like rainbows after a storm."  She hesitated for a moment staring into the woman's sky blue eyes, then removed her hand.  "But, in that storm, something happened, Sirinous.  Time did not stop that night at the ball for me.  I believe I have found someone that wants to be with me as I do her… This solitary life I have lived has been difficult; lonely.  Ember offers companionship in a way that I think we both need."

Siri winced, grabbed her chest, leaning against the table as she cried.

Demitra stood awkwardly, glanced to the entrance where Ember stood, attempting not to act unconcerned with the ordeal.

After a few minutes, Siri wiped her tears.  "If… If she hurts you…" She stepped to Demitra, bringing her hands to cup the woman's cheeks gently, then leaned forward to kiss the Elonian's forehead.  She wrapped her arms around her.  "I just want you to be happy," she whispered.

Demitra wrapped her arms around the woman and whispered back, "Why?  Why did you not just come with me?  Everything… Everything would be different now."

"I was scared I would bring you into more danger."

Demitra frowned and pulled away from Siri.  "I can take care of myself, you know.  Everyone seems to regard me as a fragile thing; like a mirror or pane of glass: afraid I shall shatter.  I am the one who shatters things of my own accord."

"It's not that.  I just think you are worth saving."  She pushed off the table, began to walk toward the exit.

Demitra watched her walk out and sighed.  "Am I really though?" she mumbled.



The group was anxious to leave.  Prymi made mention of Butterscotch eating various flora in the area, and Ryo was obviously ready to get underway.  Bella had fallen asleep, her hands on her unborn child.

Demitra mounted up, rode up beside Ember.  "We shall talk later, yeah?  You alright?"

"Yeah.  Fine," Ember mumbled.  She clicked her tongue and began to pull away.  "Let's just go."

Demitra watched as Ryo and Bella readied themselves and mounted their griffons.  She nodded at Prymi and Khirra, both looked eager to get underway.  Finally, Demitra glanced back at Siri, slowly limping in the opposite direction.  Raindrops began falling, as the sun began to set.  The entire scene hurt Demitra's heart.  She sighed.  "Siri?  You may come, if you wish it." she offered.

Siri paused, turned, then slowly nodded as the rain fell.  Demitra turned, looked into the rain, letting it wash away her own tears.



To Be Continued...